How to make impactful training videos
Executive Summary: Training videos have emerged as an indispensable tool for effective training. With their ability to engage and educate employees, training videos have become a popular choice for organizations seeking to enhance their training programs. This article explores the reasons why investing in training videos is a smart decision. It also explains the best ways and practices to create engaging training videos.
Investing in training videos offers a multitude of benefits for organizations and individuals alike. Firstly, training videos can provide a cost-effective solution compared to traditional training methods. They eliminate the need for expensive in-person training sessions, reduce travel expenses and logistical challenges. Moreover, training videos can be accessed anytime and anywhere. This allows learners to undergo training at their own convenience. This leads to higher engagement and retention of information.
A recent survey by Synthesia showed that 97% of L&D professionals find video more effective in training than text-based documents. Studies also show that training videos can significantly enhance concept recall. Presentations and training that include training videos are approximately 10% more effective than text-only materials for immediate recall. However, the true power of training videos lies in the long-term benefits. Training videos boost knowledge retention by an impressive 83% when tests are delayed.
However, creating training videos is not just about recording a lecture or demo. To make a true impact, it is crucial to design and develop videos that capture the employee’s attention throughout the training session. This is where creating effective training videos comes into play. It is important to keep employees engaged by using concise and well-structured content, visually appealing graphics, and interactive elements. This way, trainers can ensure that the knowledge is effectively understood and retained by the employees.
To begin, let’s understand the different types of training videos.
People forget nearly 90% of what they have learnt within just 7 days, unless the concepts are reinforced. That’s why employees swamped with documents, presentations, and classroom sessions are not likely to learn much.
However, time constraints make it difficult to reinforce vast concepts.
What can you do instead? Arm your employees with one concept at a time. Studies show the human attention span is only 8.25 seconds, so keep your training concise.
RapL is your software for that.
What are the different types of training videos?
When it comes to training videos, there are various types to consider. Each type serves a specific purpose. Understanding the different types of training videos allows trainers to choose the most suitable format for their specific training objectives. Here are the different types of training videos:
1. Presenter-led training videos: Presenter-led videos feature a live host or instructor. The host/presenter delivers the training content. These videos leverage the human element to engage learners and establish a personal connection. The presenter’s voice, gestures, and facial expressions enhance understanding. This also boosts knowledge retention. Presenter-led videos are particularly effective for conveying complex or nuanced topics that require in-depth explanation or demonstration. They offer a dynamic and interactive learning experience that keeps viewers engaged. They also facilitate effective knowledge transfer. Here is an example of a presenter-led training video:
2. Animated training videos: Animated videos use engaging visuals, characters, and graphics to deliver training content in an entertaining and informative manner. They are highly effective in simplifying complex concepts and making them more accessible to learners of all levels. Animated videos can bring abstract ideas to life, capture attention, and enhance understanding through storytelling and visual metaphors. They are versatile, and allow creativity and customization to suit various topics and learning objectives. By combining entertainment and education, animated videos create an engaging and memorable learning experience. Here is an example of an animated training video:
3. Screencast training videos: Screencast videos capture the screen activity of a computer or device, along with accompanying audio narration. They are particularly useful for software tutorials, demonstrations, and step-by-step instructional content. Screencast videos provide a practical way to showcase specific processes, features, or workflows, allowing viewers to follow along and learn at their own pace. They offer a visual, hands-on experience that is highly effective for teaching technical skills or guiding users through software applications. Screencast videos provide a clear and focused learning experience that is easy to follow and replicate. Here is an example of a screencast training video:
4. How-to training videos: How-to videos are instructional videos that guide viewers through specific tasks or processes. They provide step-by-step guidance, making complex tasks easier to understand and follow. How-to videos often include visual demonstrations, voice-over narration, and on-screen instructions to ensure clarity. These videos are popular across various domains, including DIY, cooking, crafts, and technology. How-to videos empower learners by providing practical knowledge. They enable them to gain new skills or accomplish specific goals through detailed and accessible instructions. Here is an example of a how-to video:
5. Live training videos: Live videos are real-time broadcasts that allow trainers or presenters to engage with their audience in a live setting. They offer a dynamic and interactive learning experience, fostering immediate feedback, questions, and discussions. Live videos can be used for virtual classrooms, webinars, or interactive workshops, providing learners with a sense of participation and community. They enable real-time demonstrations, Q&A sessions, and collaborative activities, creating a more engaging and immersive learning environment that enhances knowledge retention and promotes active participation.
6. Interactive training videos: Interactive videos actively engage viewers by allowing them to participate and make choices within the video itself. These videos incorporate interactive elements such as quizzes, branching scenarios, clickable hotspots, or decision points that require viewer input. Interactive videos provide an immersive and personalized learning experience, enabling learners to explore different paths, test their knowledge, and receive immediate feedback. By promoting active engagement and interactivity, these videos enhance learner involvement, retention, and understanding, making the learning process more enjoyable and effective. Example of interactive training videos:
7. Employee-created training videos: Employee-created videos involve employees producing training content for their colleagues or the organization. These videos provide a unique perspective, as employees share their expertise, experiences, and insights. They can be created using simple tools and equipment, such as smartphones or basic editing software. Employee-created videos foster peer-to-peer learning, collaboration, and knowledge sharing within the organization. They create a sense of ownership and engagement among employees, while also leveraging their expertise to deliver relevant and relatable training content.
Training videos are also a great form of microlearning. Read our microlearning guide to know more about it!
Examples of great training videos
1. Metro eMail Service – Ernst & Young
This short training video humorously demonstrates the risks of using obscure email apps for sensitive information. It features an EY employee transferring data from a home computer to a work laptop via email.
Through this amusing scenario, the video effectively communicates the potential dangers of malicious viruses and data hacking. The excellent acting of those in the video captures attention, while its smooth delivery ensures the points are clearly conveyed. It combines humor and critical information to deliver an engaging training experience.
2. Golden Rules of Safety – Gasunie
Golden Rules of Safety is an animated training video by Gasunie that emphasizes workplace safety. Through visually engaging animations, the video effectively conveys safety rules, providing in-depth steps and procedures. It covers essential actions to prevent workplace accidents and mishaps.
What we appreciate about this video is its ability to portray the importance of safety measures, presenting easy-to-follow steps that can be understood by all employees. The video’s comprehensive coverage and attention to detail make it a valuable resource for promoting and maintaining a safe working environment at Gasunie.
3. How to Overcome Objections in Sales – Richardson Sales Performance
This training video provides valuable guidance for sales staff to understand and address customer objections effectively. What makes this video stand out is its concise and focused approach. It uses a demo interaction to illustrate and explain key techniques to handle sales objections, making it engaging and relatable for employees. It also allows employees to visualize the application in real-life scenarios. This approach not only engages the audience but also reinforces the learning experience.
We appreciate the video’s to-the-point nature, as it focuses on the most crucial aspects of objection handling without unnecessary distractions.
Read this blog to know why microlearning—like this training video—is great for sales training.
How do training videos drive the bottom line?
In addition to increasing learning engagement, training videos drive the bottom line in many ways. By leveraging the power of training videos, organizations can achieve greater efficiency, productivity, and success in their operations.
Enterprises see a high value for video, especially for video communication and learning. 98% say video is valuable for improving communication and training employees better and faster.
95% say training videos help connect geographically-dispersed employees.
93% say training videos help increase brand awareness in employees, as well as boost lead generation.
93% say training videos empower employees to share knowledge.
Here are some ways training videos can drive the company’s bottom line:
Improved employee performance: Training videos directly impact employee performance by providing clear instructions, demonstrations, and best practices. By equipping employees with the necessary knowledge and skills, these videos enhance their performance, leading to increased productivity, efficiency, and overall job satisfaction.
Cost savings: Training videos offer significant cost savings compared to traditional training methods. They eliminate expenses associated with in-person training, such as travel, accommodation, and venue rentals. Additionally, training videos can be reused and accessed anytime, reducing the need for repeated training sessions and saving both time and resources.
Scalability and accessibility: Training videos provide scalability, allowing organizations to train a large number of employees simultaneously. With online platforms and learning management systems, these videos can be easily accessed by learners anytime and anywhere, providing flexibility and accessibility across different locations and time zones.
Consistent messaging: Training videos ensure consistent messaging and standardization of information throughout the organization. The content and delivery are carefully crafted, ensuring that every employee receives the same training experience and knowledge. This consistency eliminates confusion and ensures a unified understanding of processes, procedures, and company values.
- Continuous learning and development: Training videos support a culture of continuous learning and development within the organization. They can be updated regularly to incorporate new information, industry trends, and evolving best practices. By providing ongoing training opportunities, organizations foster a growth mindset and empower employees to continuously enhance their skills and knowledge, leading to improved performance and adaptability.
How to create training videos for employees
Step 1 – Pick a Topic:
Choosing the right topic for your training video is crucial to its success. The topic should align with your training objectives. It should also address the needs and interests of your employees. Consider the relevance and importance of the topic in relation to your organization’s goals. Also consider industry trends. Aim for an engaging topic that captures the attention of employees and generates interest. Conduct research, gather feedback, and analyze the needs of your employees. Then, select a topic that resonates with them and ensures a meaningful learning experience.
Step 2 – Determine the Type of Video:
After selecting the topic for your training video, it’s important to determine the most suitable format. This will help effectively convey the content. Assess the different types of training videos available. Consider factors such as the complexity of the topic, the desired level of engagement, and the preferences of the employees. For example, if you’re explaining a software application, a screencast video might be ideal. For a concept-driven topic, an animated video could be more engaging. Select the video format that aligns with your topic’s requirements and enhances the overall learning experience.
Step 3 – Create the Script:
A well-structured script is essential for creating an effective training video. Start by outlining the key points and objectives you want to cover in the video. Write a clear and concise script that conveys the information in a logical sequence. Use simple language, avoid jargon, and ensure the script is easy to understand for your employees. Consider storyboarding the video content. This helps map out scenes, transitions, and visual elements. This way, you can ensure a cohesive and engaging flow of information. A well-crafted script and storyboard provide a solid foundation for producing a high-quality training video.
Step 4 – Create the Video:
- Recording high-quality videos: To ensure high-quality videos, use proper lighting techniques to avoid shadow or glare. Stabilize the camera with a tripod or steady hand, and shoot in the highest resolution for crisp visuals. Pay attention to framing and composition to get a professional look.
- Utilizing professional equipment or smartphone cameras: Professional equipment like DSLR cameras or camcorders can provide superior image quality. However, if you don’t have access to professional gear, modern smartphones can also produce impressive results. Most smartphones today have advanced camera capabilities and high-resolution recording options.
- Capturing audio effectively: Use an external microphone, such as a lavalier or shotgun microphone, to capture clear and high-quality audio. Minimize background noise by choosing a quiet location. Use a windscreen to reduce unwanted noise. Monitor audio levels during recording to ensure optimal sound quality.
- Editing the video footage: Edit your video using editing software. Trim and arrange clips to create a cohesive flow, add titles, graphics, and transitions for visual interest, and adjust color and audio levels for a polished final product. Consider using captions or subtitles to enhance comprehension and reach a wider audience.
Step 5 – Review:
Reviewing your training video is essential to ensure its quality and effectiveness. Pay attention to audio and visual aspects. Check for any errors, inconsistencies, or technical issues. Ensure the audio is clear and synchronized with the visuals. Take time to seek feedback from others, such as colleagues or subject matter experts, to gain different perspectives and identify areas for improvement. Address any identified issues and make necessary revisions to enhance the overall quality and impact of the training video.
Investing in training videos offers numerous advantages. Creating attention-grabbing and engaging content is crucial for maximizing their effectiveness. By understanding the various types of training videos and employing effective instructional strategies, organizations can unlock the full potential of video-based training. This results in enhanced learning outcomes and improved performance. RapL, one of the leading digital training and productivity solutions, can help offer high-quality and effective training videos to your workforce. To know more, contact us at email@example.com.
Download it now!
Dear reader, thanks for being with us all the way till the end. We suggest 2 things from here
1. Speak to us if you want a microlearning strategy deep-dive: Microlearning is extremely effective, if approached sensibly. Microlearning is the answer to today’s shortening attention spans and we know how to make learning successful via microlearning. Drop your context here and we shall partner with you for the rest.
2. Lap up more content: We have written some intense literature on how microlearning is the superglue between people and successful business operations. Access all of it here.
Pin-Up вход зеркало рабочее на сегодня как зайти на Пин Ап если она заблокирован Pin Up казино официальный сайт ᐈ Пин Ап казино с выводом
Pin Up казино официальный сайт ᐈ Пин Ап казино с выводом денег Pin Up Casino Пин Ап официальный сайт онлайн казино pin up, игровые автоматы,
In the bustling world of automotive sales, competition is fierce, making customer satisfaction paramount…
Download it now!