Technical training: Mastering skills and empowering success
Executive Summary: Discover the transformative power of technical training! This blog explores how technical training equips employees with specialized, job-specific skills. Technical training is essential for accurate and efficient work. From aircraft maintenance to renewable energy, key areas of training are highlighted in this blog.
Technical training is the cornerstone of professional development. It empowers professionals to become experts in their fields. By imparting technical knowledge and honing specialized skills, it fosters innovation and continuous upskilling. Technical training creates a skilled workforce that is primed to meet the evolving demands of the industry.
This is highlighted by the contrast between technical training and other training methods. Technical training primarily pertains to job-specific skills. These require specific technical expertise. Conversely, non-technical training (e.g. soft skills training) is more generic. Such training can be readily applied across different job roles (WhatFIx, 2021).
Though the term “technical training” brings up thoughts of IT and computer programming, it is not limited to that. Technical training can be used for skills like computer programming, data analysis, and software development. It also includes basic business skills, such as sales and customer service. These could also be business writing, math, or project management. Employees can learn these skills through on-the-job training. They can even learn by gaining experience in their job (Donohoe, 2019).
People forget nearly 90% of what they have learnt within just 7 days, unless the concepts are reinforced. That’s why employees swamped with documents, presentations, and classroom sessions are not likely to learn much.
However, time constraints make it difficult to reinforce vast concepts.
What can you do instead? Arm your employees with one concept at a time. Studies show the human attention span is only 8.25 seconds, so keep your training concise.
RapL is your software for that.
Benefits of technical training
- Improving productivity and efficiency: Workers depend on various resources and procedures to complete daily activities. It’s important to have professional expertise to do their jobs well (MC Talent Hunt, 2021). Technical training provides employees with in-depth job-specific skills. It reduces errors and minimizes time wastage. This way, technical training creates a more efficient work environment. Technical training enables organizations to maximize their output and optimize resources. This allows them to achieve higher levels of success.
For example, in the manufacturing industry: Technical training equips employees with specialized skills. These can include operating complex machinery and quality control processes. As workers gain a better understanding of the machines and processes, they are less likely to make errors. This improves efficiency. Technical training helps organizations increase production output and minimize waste. They can deliver high-quality products to customers. RapL empowered India’s leading construction and manufacturing company with technical training. The training involved transformer maintenance, geospatial technology, water infrastructures, etc.
- Adapting to new technologies and trends: Technical training equips employees to use the latest software and tools. This keeps them up-to-date on advancements. A workforce proficient in latest technology gains a competitive advantage over those who do not have such training. This ensures organizations can embrace innovation. It helps them remain at the forefront of their industry. Technological adaptability enables companies to meet evolving customer demands. It allows them to stay ahead of the competition.
RapL worked with a global leader in automated tinting solutions to provide technical training. Technical training included topics such as machine installation, application and configuration of software, mobile application training, etc. Over 40 topics were deployed to 260+ engineers pan-India. In their 2-year tenure with RapL, the company reported 99% activation rate and 96% questions mastered. They also reported employee engagement rates of 88%.
- Ensuring compliance with industry regulations: Technical training educates workers on industry benchmarks and regulations. This way, they gain a deeper understanding of the specific requirements. As they become aware of the regulations, they are more likely to adhere to them. This ensures compliance. It also minimizes the risk of penalties or legal issues for organizations.
For example, technical training is vital in the pharmaceutical industry. It ensures compliance with stringent regulations set by organizations like the FDA. For instance, training employees on Good Clinical Practice (GCP) gives them the knowledge to conduct clinical trials ethically. It helps them maintain data integrity. It also ensures patient safety. This allows pharmaceutical companies to meet regulatory requirements.
- Building a skilled workforce: Technical training gives employees the skills needed for their roles. This creates confidence and competence. A skilled workforce contributes to organizational success by delivering high-quality work. With their expertise, they can efficiently tackle complex tasks and drive innovation. This leads to improved productivity and customer satisfaction. In turn, the company gains a competitive edge in the market.
Key areas of technical training in the automotive industry
From engineers to technicians, various teams benefit from staying up-to-date with industry advancements. RapL complements this process through microlearning. Microlearning uses bite-sized content that’s easy to digest and remember. Additionally, spaced repetition ensures long-term retention. Confidence-based learning optimizes individual progress. RapL’s interactive approach fosters active engagement. This accelerates skill development and promotes a culture of continuous learning.
- Electrical and electronic systems:
- This technical training allows automotive professionals to diagnose complex electrical issues accurately.
- They can efficiently repair electronic components and integrate advanced technologies into vehicles.
- They learn about vehicle electronics, circuitry, and the principles behind electronic control units (ECUs).
- They delve into sensor technologies, CAN (Controller Area Network) communication, and data analysis.
- Hands-on practice involves the use of diagnostic tools, oscilloscopes, and multimeters. It teaches them how to troubleshoot and repair electronic faults.
- Engine and powertrain technologies:
- Technical training in engine and powertrain technologies imparts specialized knowledge to professionals.
- They learn about the intricacies of internal combustion engines, fuel injection systems, and exhaust technologies.
- The course covers transmission systems, drivetrain components, and hybrid powertrains.
- Hands-on practice includes engine diagnosis, tuning, and performance enhancement techniques.
- This technical training equips them to tackle the dynamic challenges of modern automotive powertrains. It fosters expertise in engine maintenance and optimization.
- Vehicle communication networks:
- This type of technical training equips professionals with expertise in automotive networking systems.
- They learn about CAN (Controller Area Network) and LIN (Local Interconnect Network) protocols, Ethernet, and FlexRay.
- They are trained in network topologies, data bus architectures, and diagnostics.
- Hands-on practice involves configuring network modules and analyzing communication signals. They also learn about troubleshooting network-related issues.
- This technical training allows them to ensure seamless communication between vehicle electronic components.
RapL enabled training for leading automotive companies in India. The training topics included anti-lock braking system, adaptive cruise control, advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), and other critical components of modern automotive technology. RapL’s training closed 26% knowledge gaps among employees. Confidence levels rose by 22% per learning path.
Key areas of technical training in the renewable energy industry
- Solar photovoltaic (PV) systems:
- Technical training in solar PV systems dives into the principles and practical aspects of harnessing solar energy.
- They learn about solar cell technologies, system design, and installation techniques. This includes safety protocols.
- They are trained in PV system components, inverters, and grid integration.
- Hands-on practice involves configuring PV arrays, conducting performance analysis, and troubleshooting problems.
- Wind turbine technology:
- Equips professionals with in-depth knowledge of wind energy conversion systems.
- They learn the physics of wind and turbine aerodynamics. It helps them understand how to optimize turbine performance.
- Practical sessions include tower climbing, gearbox maintenance, and pitch system calibration.
- Energy storage systems:
- Explores battery technologies, grid integration, and energy management strategies.
- They learn about battery chemistry, system sizing, and safety protocols.
- They are trained in grid-tied and off-grid energy storage solutions. This deepens their understanding of applications in renewable energy systems.
- Hands-on practice includes battery maintenance, monitoring, and optimizing energy storage. This enhances grid stability. It also facilitates the integration of intermittent renewable sources.
Key areas of technical training in the aviation and aerospace industry
- Aircraft maintenance and repair:
- Professionals are trained in airframe structures, engines, hydraulics, and avionics.
- Practical sessions cover inspection, troubleshooting, and maintenance procedures. This ensures compliance with rigorous safety regulations.
- They gain expertise in keeping aircraft airworthy. This contributes to the company’s safety and reliability standards.
- Avionics and instrumentation:
- Technical training in avionics and instrumentation focuses on aircraft electronic systems.
- They are trained in navigation, communication, and flight control systems.
- They learn about radar technologies, data communication protocols, and avionics integration.
- Hands-on practice involves installing, calibrating, and troubleshooting avionics equipment. This ensures optimal performance and safe operation of modern aircraft.
- Aerospace engineering and design:
- This immerses them in aircraft design principles, aerodynamics, and propulsion systems.
- They explore materials used in aircraft construction, including advanced composites and additive manufacturing techniques.
- They learn to apply engineering principles in conceptualizing and designing. They can develop innovative aircraft and aerospace components.
RapL provided technical training for a drone (pilotless aircraft) manufacturing company. The topics included battery handling, safety precautions, emergency procedures, UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) operations, etc. With RapL’s training, the company saw a 50% knowledge increase, within just 28 days of introducing the topics.
Technical training plays a vital role in shaping skilled professionals across industries. It provides in-depth knowledge and practical expertise to professionals. This ensures safe, efficient, and innovative practices. Microlearning offers quick, focused modules that complement in-depth training. By using spaced repetition, microlearning reinforces concepts for improved knowledge retention. RapL is a leading provider of microlearning solutions. To know more about how microlearning can benefit your organization, contact us at email@example.com
Download it now!
Dear reader, thanks for being with us all the way till the end. We suggest 2 things from here
1. Speak to us if you want a microlearning strategy deep-dive: Microlearning is extremely effective, if approached sensibly. Microlearning is the answer to today’s shortening attention spans and we know how to make learning successful via microlearning. Drop your context here and we shall partner with you for the rest.
2. Lap up more content: We have written some intense literature on how microlearning is the superglue between people and successful business operations. Access all of it here.
Executive Summary: In an era of constant change and disruption, continuous learning has become a strategic imperative for companies looking to thrive in the digital
Organizations with a standard onboarding process experience 50% greater new hire productivity (Lucidchart). Ensuring onboarding success is crucial for achieving this…
In modern workplaces, the process of onboarding new employees has evolved beyond the mere exchange of paperwork and introductions…
Picture yourself hiring a new employee for a critical role in your organization.
Download it now!