Transform Customer Service in eCommerce with Microlearning
Executive Summary: In today’s highly competitive eCommerce landscape, customer service executives play a critical role in building and maintaining a company’s reputation. Poor customer service can lead to negative reviews, customer churn, and loss of revenue. Therefore, it is essential to provide these executives with proper training. This ensures they can deliver high-quality customer service. Microlearning for customer service is the ideal solution to provide effective and engaging training. This blog highlights why customer service executives are essential to businesses, and why it is imperative to train them well. This blog also explains why microlearning is the right solution for training them. This blog also looks into real-world examples where microlearning has been successfully leveraged for training customer service executives.
Laura glanced at the people walking hurriedly past her cabin. The office was abuzz, as usual, with everyone pacing around like they were running against time. She was the Head of Customer Service at a large eCommerce company and was proud of her division being an essential part of the business. Laura’s team would spend all day fielding customer queries, processing returns and exchanges, catering to customer complaints, and more. Their work kept the customers happy, so they would return for future purchases, instead of going elsewhere.
As much as she enjoyed her work, Laura was now starting to realize that her team needed better training to keep up with the pace of the dynamic industry. The traditional learning management system was starting to prove inefficient. It was too static, and could not help Laura’s team to provide the same exceptional service. She wanted a system that could be updated with new information quickly and easily. Simply put, a solution that would engage her team and motivate them to learn. It seemed like the only way to ensure continuous upskilling to keep up with a rapidly-changing environment. She emailed her friend in the L&D department, asking for advice. Almost instantly, she got a reply that read, “Laura, looks like the best option is to use microlearning for customer service.”
Dumping documents, PPTs, and classroom sessions is a waste of your training budget. This is because folks will forget 95% of the concepts within 7 days if not reinforced.
You can’t reinforce each and every concept because of practical limitations.
What should you do instead? Arm them with one concept at a time. And keep ’em short. A human’s attention span is 8 seconds.
RapL is your software for that.
Curious, Laura started reading about using microlearning for customer service training. She was excited with what she found, and wanted to leverage this new solution to help her team.
Microlearning is a learning approach that delivers short, focused, and highly specific content to promote skill development and knowledge retention. It is used across many industries, but it can be especially leveraged to effectively up-skill customer service executives in the eCommerce industry. Like we saw in Laura’s case, eCommerce is a dynamic industry where it is imperative to stay updated. In the absence of a physical store, eCommerce businesses rely heavily on customer service to build and maintain relationships with their customers. Customer service executives are instrumental in achieving brand loyalty, as they directly interact with customers and ensure customer satisfaction.
With the advent of eCommerce, the role of customer service executives has evolved to incorporate more than just responding to customer queries. Today, they are expected to be familiar with a wide range of topics, including product specifications, shipping policies, payment options, and returns. This shows that they play a vital role in ensuring customer satisfaction and brand loyalty. In today’s hyper-competitive marketplace, a positive customer experience can make all the difference in a customer choosing to return to the same eCommerce store or going elsewhere.
Let’s take a detailed look at how the unique role and skill-set of customer service executives make them indispensable to the growth and success of an eCommerce company.
What makes customer service executives essential to business?
- Addressing common customer queries: Customer service executives in eCommerce are the front line for handling common customer queries related to returns, refunds, and replacements. Their ability to address these concerns effectively and efficiently is vital for business survival. This is because it impacts customer satisfaction and loyalty. By providing excellent customer service and resolving issues promptly, they help build a positive brand image, improve customer retention rates, and drive revenue growth in the long run.
- Extensive product knowledge: Customer service executives in eCommerce must have comprehensive product knowledge. This is important so they can assist customers with inquiries and concerns. Product knowledge helps them provide personalized and accurate guidance to customers. This improves customer experience and builds brand loyalty. Furthermore, it allows them to up-sell and cross-sell products. This increases revenue and contributes to business growth.
- Familiarity with specific eCommerce tools/platforms: Customer service executives should be familiar with the tools and platforms used by their company. This includes inventory management systems, customer relationship management software, order processing tools, etc. This familiarity helps them access the information they need to assist customers quickly and efficiently. It also enables them to identify and report any issues that may arise, improve operational efficiency and ensure a seamless customer experience.
- Strong communication and soft skills: Effective communication skills are essential for understanding and addressing customer concerns. Soft skills such as empathy, patience, and problem-solving help build trust and rapport with customers. In addition, excellent communication and soft skills can help diffuse difficult situations and turn unhappy customers into loyal ones. Therefore, it is crucial for customer service executives in e-commerce to have strong communication and soft skills to ensure customer satisfaction and long-term success.
- Problem-solving and troubleshooting: Customer service executives in eCommerce must have strong problem-solving skills to resolve customer issues quickly and efficiently. With a deep understanding of products and services, they must be able to think on their feet and provide effective solutions to customer problems. Problem-solving skills also enable them to identify the root cause of a problem, troubleshoot technical issues, and work collaboratively with other teams to provide a seamless customer experience. Strong problem-solving skills are essential for customer service executives in e-commerce to provide excellent customer service and build brand loyalty.
Training is essential to equip customer service executives with the necessary skills and knowledge to perform their job effectively. Effective training can help customer service executives meet the evolving demands of their jobs. It can provide them with the tools needed to handle customer interactions with confidence and expertise.
Through training, they can learn how to handle difficult customers, troubleshoot common issues, and use various communication channels to reach customers. Additionally, they can learn how to empathize with customers and provide personalized service that meets their unique needs. All of these skills can help improve the overall customer experience and increase the likelihood of repeat business.
In this context, microlearning for customer service has emerged as an effective training method. Microlearning for customer service breaks complex topics down into bite-sized pieces. This can help executives absorb and retain information more effectively.
Furthermore, microlearning for customer service can be tailored to the specific needs of eCommerce companies. For instance, training can be provided on common customer queries or on new product launches. This targeted approach can help ensure that customer service executives have the right knowledge and skills to handle a wide range of situations and provide exceptional customer service.
To know more about the benefits and outcomes of using microlearning for training in business, read this blog.
Now, let’s understand why microlearning for customer service is best suited to train executives in the eCommerce industry.
Why microlearning for customer service training?
- eCommerce is a rapidly-changing industry: There are constant shifts in market forces, customer preferences, pricing, and cultural trends. This makes eCommerce a highly-competitive and dynamic industry. Hence, microlearning for customer service makes it easier for employees to learn, retain and apply knowledge on the job. Additionally, microlearning can be delivered quickly and flexibly. This is particularly beneficial for eCommerce businesses with a high turnover rate. Microlearning for customer service can keep employees up-to-date with the latest information to adapt and thrive in an ever-evolving industry.
- Traditional LMS does not suit a dynamic environment: Traditional LMS is often ineffective in a dynamic and fast-paced environment like eCommerce. Traditional LMS is typically designed for long-form, in-depth courses, which can be time-consuming and may not address the immediate needs of e-commerce employees. Rapidly-changing customer needs demand quick and flexible responses. This means that eCommerce support staff must be agile. Microlearning for customer service allows the executives to quickly acquire and retain new skills. This makes them more agile and responsive to changing customer needs in eCommerce. To learn more about microlearning v/s traditional learning, read this blog.
- Microlearning can increase retention of complex information: Microlearning for customer service can help executives retain complex and heterogeneous information. This is achieved by breaking down large amounts of information into small, bite-sized pieces. With microlearning for customer service, information is presented in a way that is easy to understand and digest. This allows learners to absorb and retain information better. Additionally, microlearning for customer service modules can be customized to meet the specific needs of the business. This ensures that they receive the information relevant to their roles. This makes the training more engaging and effective, ultimately leading to improved performance and customer service.
Microlearning brings flexibility, accessibility, and focused delivery to enterprise training. Let’s understand the key features of microlearning for customer service which make it an ideal solution for training executives in eCommerce.
Features of microlearning for customer service
- Mobile-based delivery: Mobile-based delivery in microlearning for customer service offers several advantages to executives. This makes the learning process more accessible and agile. With mobile-based delivery, they can access learning materials anytime, anywhere, and on any device. This gives them greater flexibility and control over their learning experience. Additionally, the bite-sized and focused nature of microlearning modules allows customer service executives to easily fit learning into their busy schedules. They can also quickly apply newly acquired skills to their work. This makes them more agile and responsive in their roles.
- One concept at a time: The microlearning structure offers a simplified approach to learning by presenting one concept at a time. This method reduces cognitive overload. This helps customer service executives to better focus on the key learning objectives. By breaking down complex concepts into smaller, bite-sized modules, they can consume and retain information more easily. This leads to a more effective learning experience. This approach also allows them to pace their learning. This gives them the time to thoroughly understand and master each concept before moving on to the next one.
- Use of digital media: Microlearning for customer service incorporates a variety of multimedia elements such as videos, images, and interactive animations. This can stimulate different senses and help customer service executives to better connect with the material. This approach also allows them to access information in a way that suits their individual learning styles. This leads to a more personalized and engaging learning experience. The use of digital media also helps to break up text-heavy content. This makes it more visually appealing and easier to consume.
- Spaced repetition and reinforcement: Microlearning for customer service uses spaced repetition and reinforcement. This helps executives better absorb and retain information. By spacing out the delivery of content over time, they are able to remember the material better. This is because the process of revisiting the material reinforces neural connections in the brain. Additionally, reinforcing key concepts through practice exercises, quizzes, and assessments helps them to solidify their understanding and recall of the material. This approach improves long-term retention and application of knowledge. This leads to a more effective and impactful learning experience.
Practical applications of microlearning for customer service in eCommerce
Platform Used: RapL
- Customer Service Training in Luxury eCommerce
One of our customers, a luxury beauty eCommerce brand, was struggling to provide high-quality customer support. The company believed that it was essential to train their employees to handle customer grievances and ensure exceptional customer support.
RapL was brought in to provide a solution. RapL helped the company’s employees master customer service through microlearning with a scenario-based approach. This resulted in a positive impact on their job performance.
While standard operating procedures and policies are vital for effective job performance, they are not always the first thing employees require when dealing with customers. Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, are essential in handling customer grievances efficiently.
RapL’s spaced repetition and microlearning model allowed employees to efficiently learn and master various topics. RapL’s learning model requires employees to dedicate only 3-5 minutes per day towards their training. This results in continuous improvement over time and ultimately improves the employees’ knowledge and skills in handling customers.
Using the Rapl platform,
- 60+ topics were deployed
- 900+ scenarios were mastered by each employee
- Processes and SOP knowledge were enhanced
- Increased levels of customer satisfaction were reported
- Training Frontline Workers in B2B eCommerce
A B2B trading platform that brings together manufacturers, traders, retailers, and wholesalers on a single platform is a game-changer in the world of eCommerce. However, the success of any platform depends on the competence of its workforce, especially their front-line employees.
In the case of this customer, managers struggled to train the massive front-line workforce, which was mostly on contract. The wide range of products the eCommerce platform handled made it difficult to train them effectively. The lack of access to a central platform where the sellers could be trained and have a repository of information for their daily activities was also a challenge.
Google Forms were circulated to understand and assess the knowledge of workers. However, the results were not fruitful. The lack of product knowledge among workers would lead to inefficiency and unproductivity. Hence, there was a crucial need for the front-line workforce to be knowledgeable about the product and service offerings.
This is where RapL was asked to step in. Our unique learning platform transformed the way front-line employees in this company were trained and equipped to handle their daily activities.
RapL provided a platform that enabled training from anywhere, at any time, and with commitment of less than five minutes per day. RapL also had a repository of easily accessible information for both sellers and front-line employees, which improved their productivity.
Sellers were on-boarded to RapL’s platform, and were trained through the central repository of information. Ownership and accountability for driving and meeting the training needs of employees were put in place. Champions from the customer’s side were identified and deployed to ensure the use of the learning tool. The front-line workforce had access to a repository of information that enabled them to pitch to the customers. The platform was accessible and mobile, enabling them to be more productive in their jobs.
RapL has been a game-changer for this B2B trading platform, providing an easy-to-use, accessible, and portable platform for training the front-line workforce. The platform has enabled sellers and employees to be more productive, efficient, and knowledgeable about the product and service offerings. With RapL, their front-line workforce is now better equipped to handle their daily activities and contribute to the overall success of their eCommerce platform.
The RapL platform achieved:
- Accessible and streamlined sales enablement and communication with sales representatives in the field
- Greater visibility of sales representatives’ improvement and engagement in training over time
- Personalized, effective field coaching sessions for sales representatives and frontline managers
- Onboarding and familiarization of new sellers into the ecosystem using the platform
To conclude, microlearning has become an essential tool for companies looking to improve their customer service. As we saw in this blog, the benefits of microlearning for customer service include increased employee engagement, improved retention rates, and better overall learning outcomes. By providing bite-sized, interactive content that is easily accessible, customer service executives can quickly acquire new skills and knowledge on the job.
RapL is at the forefront of microlearning training techniques. Our training platforms are designed to help companies create high-quality, engaging content that is tailored to meet the specific needs of the business. The microlearning technology used by RapL ensures that employees are presented with content that matches their skill level and learning style. This maximizes the effectiveness of the training.
By embracing microlearning with RapL, companies can provide their employees with the tools needed to excel in their customer service roles. Committed to high-quality training and dedicated to customer success, RapL is an excellent partner for any organization looking to take their training programs to the next level. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about how we can help your company succeed.
Download it now!
Dear reader, thanks for being with us all the way till the end. We suggest 2 things from here
1. Speak to us if you want a microlearning strategy deep-dive: Microlearning is extremely effective, if approached sensibly. Microlearning is the answer to today’s shortening attention spans and we know how to make learning successful via microlearning. Drop your context here and we shall partner with you for the rest.
2. Lap up more content: We have written some intense literature on how microlearning is the superglue between people and successful business operations. Access all of it here.
Revenue Per Employee: How Indian Retail Uses RapL To Optimize The Holy Grail Of People Productivity
Of the several retail KPIs that are gold standards to measure efficiency, revenue per employee remains numero uno…
Revolutionize Your Enterprise Training with Asynchronous Learning Platforms
Tom had just landed his dream job at a large consulting firm. He was excited about the job, but was a bit nervous…
AI in Training
Companies worldwide face multiple challenges, including complexity in products and processes, growth in competition, changes in workforce, and immense pressure to be agile. Leaders recognize…
Learning Engagement: What is it and How to Improve it?
Learning engagement is influencing motivation and behavior to engage in an effective learning process. It is a critical aspect of corporate learning that can have a wide scale impact…
Download it now!